Thursday, April 1, 2010

Italy (Milano)


Most of Malaysian students in Sheffield tend to go out from UK during Easter break. I got my plan too. My objective was to complete a solo tour in Italy, so I went to Milan, Venice, Florence, Pisa and finally Rome.
I departed from my house to Sheffield Interchange at 1.40am, as advised by the taxi company. Starting this journey alone made me feel uneasy since I’d never travel alone before, especially to other country like Italy, where English is not the main language. At 2.40am, I boarded a National Express bus towards East Midlands airport, the last point in UK before I step in Orio al-Serio airport, Bergamo, Milan.
I don’t really like travelling with Ryanair because the seat was so uncomfortable, but what can I say, I had to find the cheapest one.
The weather wasn’t really good on that day. It was raining. I praised Ryanair for being one hour early from the actual arrival time, 10.00am. I walked towards Autostradale ticket counter and bought a bus ticket for 8.50€ to Milano Centrale. I rested on a bench while waiting for the time to be 10.30am. Suddenly, I realised that my time wasn’t right. It was 10.25am in Milan, an hour ahead of UK and my bus departure was 10.30am. I ran to the bus and Thank God it’s still there.
I showed my ticket to the bus driver and he sang me a song in Italian. I didn’t understand any word since I just learned the basic phrases but I did clap my hand to show my appreciation towards him. Thank you.
One hour journey to Milan made me wonder how good Italy is. The road is wider compared to what we have in Malaysia. The bus service was very efficient. After one hour journey, the bus finally arrived at Milano Centrale, where I will board my first Eurostar to Venezia Santa Lucia station in Venice. 
 Inside Milano Centrale.
I went into the train station, just to confirm my departure to Venice. I’ve already paid for it and I didn’t want to lose my money by missing this train. Just like any other tourist, I looked for tourist information counter and found one. The officer there wasn’t friendly at all, she sighed after each and every single question I asked her but she still gave me a Milan map which helped me a lot.
The time was 11.30am, so I went to Duomo di Milano, a cathedral in Milan. I boarded tram number 3, just outside the train station to the tourist attraction, which cost me 1€ one way. The tram was really classics, just like the San Francisco cable car. One thing to remember, always validate your ticket when you board any public transportation in Italy although they don’t check your ticket. A gentleman helped me with the direction to Duomo di Milano, maybe because my face looked really confusing when studying the map. Thanks bro. Of course I was confused because the tram rail line was not on the map.
 The classic tram in Milano.
 Me at Piazza Duomo
 The monument of King Vittorio Emanuele II and Ray Ban sign.
I finally got to see the famous Duomo di Milano myself. Nothing special I thought. I just like the place around the Piazza Duomo, full of cafes and shops selling expensive clothes such as Bvgalri and Armani Exchange. The place name is Galleria Vittorio Emmanuelle.
 Galleria Vittorio Emmanuelle
 Me again.
Miracle Hole.
At 2.00pm, I took a Metropolitana 3 (Milan underground) from Duomo to Centrale. 
 Metropolitana 3; one of Milan underground rail systems.
I checked the train timetable once again and it was stated that I need to board a train at platform 11. I already printed the payment receipt of the ticket but wasn’t sure whether this can be used as a valid ticket or not. At this moment, I realised the importance of communication. I asked a Chinese girl onboard of the train about my travel document. Unluckily, she cannot speak English. A man came to help and guess what, he didn’t understand English too. It was like a duck trying to communicate with a chicken in their own language. “Why don’t I learn Italian before?” I spoke to myself. I just took a seat next to the Chinese girl and hoping that she may help me when the train personnel ask something about my ticket. I was too tired and fell asleep for about half an hour and she woke me up asking me to show my ticket, in Italian. I don’t really know how I can understand her at that time. Hahaha. She was very nice, offering me some chewing gums, chocolates and some junk foods onboard the train. She went off at one station before Venice-Maestre station and left me alone. Thank you, unknown Chinese girl.
After about 30 minutes, the train stopped at its final destination, Venezia Santa Lucia. I got off and looked for a vaporetti (waterbus) to go to Ca’ Del Pozzo, my booked accommodation in Venice.

17 comments:

syahmi said...

aik. kalo travel lone ranger. gmba mu sapo amek?

Uncle said...

Mintak tulong org la. " Scuzzi miss/mr, can u please take my picture?". Skill tuh.

3F@unsp0ken said...

brp bajek jalan sn weh??
nk gak pegi nih~

Uncle said...

Aku over budget. Abis dekat ngan 400 pounds gak la.

muhammadthoriq said...

sian ko survive sorg2 kat sane tp sume dah berakhir.msti satu pglmn yg best!...=)
nnt travel skali jom!

Uncle said...

Aku da amik keputusan, pasni nak travel sorg2 je.(merajuk)

Ruzaini Rahin said...

Btol..ak setuju..jom travel sorg2.. jumpa di London ok! haha..

my next journey on July...doa2 kan ye..

Uncle said...

Apa barang bro?
Orang nak balik kot nanti. Dtg la time winter. Kita gi main ski sama2.

3F@unsp0ken said...

400??? smua skali msuk mkn souvenir?

Uncle said...

Yep. Aku kurg masa. Jd duk layan train Eurostar je la. Mahal gampang.

3F@unsp0ken said...

pergh~ kje naek eurostar je upenye
patot ar... huhu

Ruzaini Rahin said...

ye ke..hahaha.. july lain lah..jakarta n bandung..

Uncle said...

Wokeyh...kalau aku free nak join jgk la. Hahaha.

yAtiE said...

berani ko travel sengsorg
tepat ore pulop tuh

suko la attitude chenese girl 2..
baeknya dio
huhu

Ruzaini Rahin said...

meh join..hehe..

try cari hok 2nd July -KL_Jakarta

9th July-Bandung_KL

gapo2 ym ak

Uncle said...

Wokeyh. Tgk dulu la. Aku ingat nak kerja time cuti summer.

muhammadthoriq said...

alololo...jgn la majuk.x baek dowh,haha...;P (xmo pujuk,dah besar dah)